Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Moving Out

Paying rent is like pouring money down a rat hole. I don’t know whether my parents figured that out on their own, or if someone convinced them of that.

I think I know that Aunt Bea's husband might have been into real estate. And I also think that when they moved out of Walla Walla over to the coast, Forey went into real estate and made quite a bit of money over there.

I found it very interesting that my folks were having a brand new house built right next to Aunt Maud and Uncle Shorty’s house. My uncle’s real name was John Everett, but I never heard anybody call him John. Like most of my uncles he worked for the Union Pacific Railroad. I was fascinated by the huge work horse the man digging the full basement used for the digging. Another uncle was a farmer and had riding horses. Uncle Gene Stiller was married to my mother’s sister Eva. I had thought that the riding horses were big.

It seemed that the house was both slow and fast in coming into shape. There were concrete retaining walls in the front and on two sides and then they were pouring the concrete for the basement floor. When the contractor said that it could be walked on, my mother wanted to see the basement, so she walked to the new house by herself and started down the ladder. The stairway was yet to be built. She must have been most of the way down before she fell because when she was found down there she was bruised and had a black eye and a cracked shoulder bone.

One of my dad's friends teased him by saying, "Well, Bud, you finally proved to your wife that you're the head of the household!" My dad didn't like his first name, which was Clarence, so he went by the nickname Bud. He wrote checks to pay bills as C. V. Marshall. For quite a while my folks were known as Bud and Toots. There was a second Ada in their card-playing group, so my mother went by her childhood nickname.

Finally the new house was ready for us to move in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home