Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A Typed Stew

For this blog I'm going to give you two short, mostly unrelated bits. You may want to call it a typed stew: a bite of carrot and next a bit of onion.

I'm hoping that you might enjoy this prayer even if you are not religious. This is the Lord's Prayer from the New Zealand Book of Common Prayer:

Eternal Spirit, Earth-Maker, Pain-Bearer, Life-Giver, source of all that is and that shall be, Father and Mother of us all, loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echoes through the universe! The way of your justice be followed by the peoples of the earth! Your heavenly will be done by all created beings! Your commonwealth of peace and freedom sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us. In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us. In times of temptation and test, spare us. From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, now and forever.

Amen.


The above was printed in the church bulletin and read in unison by the congregation on Pentecost Sunday of this year at the First Congregational church of Walla Walla, Washington.

I think that I mentioned, awhile back at the beginning of my blog, a book about women who married men, but later found that something was not quite correct, and eventually discovered that they were much happier when they found lesbian partners. That the opposite--straight spouses finding out their spouses aren't heterosexual--would also happen never came to my mind. I suppose that's part of the problem of being straight and trying to understand people with a same-sex orientation. I bring this up now because I picked up an eleven-page publication that probably came out of the kiosk at my church. It is called News & Notes of the Straight Spouse Network or SSN for short. The one I have is the Fall 2004 issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home